Saturday, February 03, 2007

Veggie Tales: The Best

I am a great fan of the Veggie Tales video/DVD series. I have seen almost all of them (as of this writing) except for the most recent Larry Boy DVD, the How To Draw DVD, and some of the recent silly song compilations (I've also not seen the repackaged versions of some of the Bible stories). Therefore, I am going to give you what I believe the Top 10 are and a brief reason why (I will not include the Silly Song compilations in this list as they should be judged seperately in my view).

10) Lord of the Beans. A great sendup of "Lord of the Rings". Great silly song with Larry as an "Elvish" impersonator.

9) Summo of the Opera. I love the story of Saint Patrick on this DVD in addition to the bizarre combination of Japanese theater and Rocky.

8) Duke and the Pie War. Unfortunately, the baby Moses story is a little slow, but the rest of the DVD does very well.

7) Madame Blueberry. Sometimes a simple story works best and this one about thankfulness is still memorable nine years after it came out. Contains the classic Silly Song "His Cheeseburger".

6) Josh and the Big Wall. Even after ten years, this story of Joshua's battle over Jericho still resonates with truth. "Song of the Cebu" is still one of the all time best Silly Songs.

5) King George and the Duckey. If you thought there was no way to tell the David and Bathsheba story to children, you would be wrong. This tale of the tragedy of selfishness still has chilling effect with the song line "Oh, King George, You are that man!". The opening segment of the "Englishmen Who Went Up the Hill and Took All the Bananas" is hilarious as well.

4) Lyle, the Kindly Viking. Classic casting: Mr. Lunt as Ophelia from Hamlet (well, Omelot in this version). Great story of kindness (not to mention another of my all time favorite silly songs: Larry's High Silk Hat).

3) Gideon, Tuba Warrior. Admittedly I just saw this one, so in the future I might lower its ranking, but I loved this one. Believe it or not, Billy Graham appears in this one (as a stick figure - Don't worry, its respectful). Also, I can't get "Lance the turtle, Aloha Lance, Lance the turtle, Dance, Dance, Dance" out of my head.

2) A Snoodles Tale. You might just cry after this lesson on self-esteem. "Oh, Oh, you and me in our Sport Utility Vehicle....." is a silly song that will grow on you the more times you see it. Also, a great bizarre mixture of Victorian England and Disco.

1) The Ballad of Little Joe. A Western Bible story. Really! This old west retelling of Joseph's story is nearly flawless (including Larry's great line "Desperados! You better come to your senses" as outlaws are tying him up). Also contains my wife's favorite silly song: "Belly Button"

The rest of the Veggie Tales stories are great too. Any Top 10 list that Dave and the Giant Pickle (another great DVD) does not make, means that you have a great group of DVD's ahead of you.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lydia said...

Wow! I can't believe I've been out of the Veggie Tales scene for so long! Josh and the Big Wall was TEN YEARS ago??!! I really need to catch up!

From what I've seen (very few on your list), my favorite is Dave and the Giant Pickle, but it looks like I might need to come raid your Veggie Tale library and watch a few of the newer ones!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Dave and the Giant Pickle was my first interaction with VeggieTales at a Young Life meeting in high school. It was love at first sight and I can't get enough of them. I must admit that at present my favorite silly song is Lance the Turtle. It's catchy and the French Peas on turtle heads are just precious. I love it! Mad. Blueberry was a wonderful story and thus my car is named after her in honor of it. As far as my favorite silly song it would be Barbara Manitee and favorite video....oh gawsh....I can't pick. I love them allll!!! Nice job Scott.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home