Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Recommended DVD Viewing

You may be bored with the latest offerings on DVD. Or you may just want to watch something you know little about, but you don't know what is good. Here are some recommendations for you from The Thinking Servant.

Lewis & Clark This would be the Ken Burns Documentary. It is (in my opinion) the best Ken Burns documentary I have ever seen. Highly recommended. And it is much shorter (4 hours) than some of his other choices like The Civil War or Baseball.

WKRP in Cincinatti: Season One This has just been released on DVD. This season (the 1978-79 season of the show) was definitely the show's best. If your not old enough to remember the show, I recommend it. The First Episode is a classic! As is the Thanksgiving Episode! (this does not necessarily endorse every episode of the season as I don't remember all of them, but there were plenty of good ones).

Any Pixar film Even the relatively mediocre Ratatouille (I hope I spelled it right) is better than most films. My favorites include both Toy Story films, Monsters, Inc. (I just saw this one for the first time) and Cars. I have not seen The Incredibles yet.

The first four seasons of Frasier Though this show declined in it's later years, the first four seasons were mostly excellent (on average they would produce about six lesser episodes each year, leaving some eighteen that were great). If your not familar with the show start with season one and go from there. I rate the third season the highest overall (though it started off poorly with a bad plot line involving Frasier and his boss. You can skip those episodes and most of the rest were excellent).

Support Your Local Sheriff A 1969 western comedy starring James Garner. It's Great.

What About Bob? A 1991 comedy with Bill Murray as a mental patient who follows his new psychiatrist on vacation.

Empires: Martin Luther A PBS documentary about the life of Martin Luther. Features theologian Allister McGrath as one of the commentators.

These are just a few to get you started.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lydia said...

I'm glad you liked Monsters, Inc. And I felt the same way about Ratatouille: mediocre, but amazing graphics!

When I first saw What About Bob? I thought it was a horrible film. How sad that a perfectly sane doctor could be pushed to the brink (and beyond) of insanity? Now, I see the humor in it, but those initial thoughts have marred the movie for me.

It still doesn't keep me from mimicking the scene when Bob joins them for dinner and loves the food he's eating!

9:12 PM  
Blogger The Thinking FSH said...

Here's the deal about "What About Bob?" that makes it so funny. The psychiatrist is a self-important, egotistical blowhard. So the comedy comes from the fact that he is greatly humbled by the stumbling of his own arrogance and pride.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home